This site participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
I can remember back a few years ago my Mom got a hold of a huge box of overripe bananas from a friend. I don’t mean a little box, with five to ten banana’s either. This box was massive! It must have contained at least 30 bananas. My Mother made so much banana bread that week! She must of made 10-15 loaves in a matter of a few days. It was delicious, dense, and moist and tasted as good as my Grandmother use to make. They say too much of a good thing can be bad but in that case it was pretty great because banana bread is super versatile and can be eaten at different times during the day.
Many people buy a bundle of bananas and they sit there on the counter. Sometimes they all are eaten before they become very very ripe and other times they sit there until they are thrown away. I don’t know about you but none of my children want to eat a banana once it has brown spots. According to them it’s “gross” which I don’t understand because the more ripe they are the sweeter they get.
If you find yourself in the position to where the bananas you have bought are overripe, the kids won’t eat them, and there are too many for you to eat; take a whirl at my banana bread recipe below. I promise the kids will absolutely love it!
Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 – 4 bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup packed (light or dark) brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
* To buy these ingredients on Amazon click the ‘Buy Now’ button below.
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and bananas to the mix. Combine well.
- Sift together flour, soda salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Add to creamed mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix just until combined. Be sure not to overmix.
- Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350º for 50 minutes. Check to see if the bread is done by poking a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean the bread is done. If batter is on the toothpick, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes and recheck again with toothpick.
- Once the bread is done cooking allow to cool and enjoy.
Use Banana Bread for other Recipes
Like i stated before banana bread is versatile and can be used for different meals throughout the day. Bellow are some ideas on a variations of ways to use your homemade banana bread.
- Banana Bread Toast – Spread butter on a slice after toasting the bread in a toaster for a tasty breakfast or mid morning snack.
- Banana Bread French Toast – French toast is fun and easy to make. Put a nice twist on a classic and use slices of banana bread in place of regular bread. Dip the bread in eggs and grill in a pan in a little bit of olive oil or butter. Sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar and enjoy.
- Banana Bread Pudding – Allow the banana bread to harden a bit in the open air for a day or two and then follow a bread pudding recipe with the banana bread in place of the bread in the recipe.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Bread Sandwich – swap slices of wheat or white sandwich bread and use slices of banana bread instead.
Variations and Substitutes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce can be used in place of butter to make a denser and more moist bread and to cut extra calories and fat.
- white sugar can be used in place of brown sugar.
- substitute brown sugar with 3/4 cup honey, or 3/4 cups maple syrup or 2/3 cup agave or 1 teaspoon stevia.
- 1/2 a cup of almonds add a nice taste that compliments the bread
- 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips or peanut butter chips adds a rich decadence to the recipe.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out my other recipes and posts, including, my recipe for chocolate chip cookies . Be sure to like, and share this post on social media. Icons to share this post are listed below.
For more post like this and to be the first to see new content from this site subscribe below.